You just realized you have a potential claim for investment misconduct. With that said, it’s time to hire a lawyer. Unfortunately, many folks in the Tri-State area make the mistake of hiring the first attorney they come across. Don’t fall into this trap! Keep in mind that upwards of millions of dollars will be on the line in some securities fraud cases. You simply can’t afford to choose a lawyer who isn’t completely sure of what they’re doing. In this blog post, we will go through some of the most common mistakes to avoid when hiring legal counsel.
- Failing to do research – Just because you have one consultation at a law firm doesn’t mean you’re obligated to them. Make it a point to do some research on your own. Set appointments with multiple attorneys. If you don’t feel 100 percent confidence in a lawyer, it’s best to just move on to the next option.
- Putting too much emphasis on fees – We all try to save money when we can. But hiring a lawyer isn’t exactly the right time to pinch pennies. Note that a law office that offers low fees probably isn’t the most reputable. It’s best to think of hiring an attorney as an investment, especially in securities litigation cases.
- Not valuing experience – Now’s not the time to put your legal fate in the hands of a rookie lawyer or recently established law firm. Credentials matter in this industry. By thinking otherwise, you’re only setting yourself up for failure.
- Assuming a bigger law firm is better – There are plenty of large firms in the Tri-State area. But if you really want a trial attorney to give you his or her undivided attention, you may want to consider going to smaller firms. Not surprisingly, when lawyers have fewer cases on their plate, more of their attention is put on yours.
- Not asking for a written agreement – Proof of terms is critical when choosing a lawyer. Don’t forget that you want to spend your time discussing case details with your attorney, not worrying about how much the fees are going to be at the end.
Hire a Securities Attorney
It could be that you already have a list of several potential securities law firms on your list. So why choose the securities lawyers at Sadis & Goldberg? For the last 25 years, we’ve represented individual and institutional investors throughout the country. Since we are a niche law firm, you don’t have to worry about us not knowing how to handle your case. The litigation lawyers who are on staff have the ability to focus on what they do best: recovering losses for investors with claims against financial advisors, stockbrokers, and brokerage firms.
Since 1997, our trial attorneys have demonstrated results in high-stakes cases. You can feel comfortable knowing that we have plenty of experience in the financial services industry. We are proud to have won many multi-million dollar securities arbitrations, verdicts, awards, and settlements for clients.
Don’t make the mistake of hiring the wrong law firm for your case. Instead, speak to an attorney at Sadis & Goldberg.